Philadelphia 76ers forward Joel Embiid has been trying to take Rihanna on a date since he entered the league back in 2014. After publicly announcing that he was moving on from a crush on Kim Kardashian to Rihanna, he first started tweeting at her in July 2014—half-jokingly asking the singer on dinner dates.
Rihanna quickly followed him back on Twitter and Embiid said she was considering his offer, but it never materialized into anything. A month later, Embiid shared a cryptic tweet saying that a “famous girl” turned him down and told him, “Come back when you're [an] All Star.”
TMZ later confirmed that the “famous girl” was in fact Rihanna. Embiid wasn't able to make good on his side of the bargain and become an All-Star after getting injured, however. That changed this week when Embiid was named a starter on the Eastern Conference's All-Star team.
Now, fans are flooding Rihanna with messages, making sure she follows through on her end of the deal. Right now, all of her recent posts on Instagram are full of “@joelembiid” tags and comments like, “He's an All-Star now give him a call.”
Joel did have some words about the whole situation, seemingly switching the tables and turning Rihanna down.
Rihanna has yet to publicly respond to any of this, but people on Twitter aren't having a hard time imagining what each of their thoughts are.
Over three years after first shooting his shot, it looks like this might finally work out in Embiid's favor.
More from Complex
- Ludwig Göransson Says He Had No Idea Childish Gambino’s “Redbone” Would Be a Massive Hit
- Jordan Peele Says He’s Done Acting and Wants to Focus on Directing
- HLN’s Ashleigh Banfield Calls Aziz Ansari Allegations ‘Sloppy and Reckless’
- Featured Trailer of the Week: HBO’s “High Maintenance” Returns
- L.A. County Coroner Concludes Tom Petty Died of an Accidental Overdose