How do you end an incredible year for rap music? By talking about beef.
Rap beefs in 2017 ran the gamut from hilarity to curiosity. Remy Ma came out of nowhere with “ShETHER,” challenging Nicki Minaj and her status in the game. Young Dolph and Yo Gotti, two Memphis heavyweights, have moved past their beef and thankfully so; it escalated to Dolph getting shot earlier this year. And for East Coast rap heads, the idea of Cam’ron and Mase exchanging diss tracks in 2017 is a dream match-up come true.
More recently, there have been tensions brewing between former friends XXXTentacion and Ski Mask the Slump God. Azealia Banks is always out here doing the most on social media and reigniting beefs. Then there’s Drake and Meek Mill, but the 6 God decided to officially end their feud in a freestyle over Jay-Z’s “Family Feud.” Just when you think the year will start off calm and friendly, rappers always seem to have something to settle.
So, which one was your favorite? We asked New Yorkers to tell us theirs and you’ll be surprised to hear some of their answers.
More from Complex
- New Yorkers Weigh In On Their Favorite Rap Beefs of 2017
- Mariah Carey Returns to ‘New Year’s Rockin’ Eve’ Despite Absence of Hot Tea
- Here’s a List Albums We’re Still Waiting On in 2018
- Louisiana Police Arrest 67-Year-Old White Man for Role in ‘Nigerian Prince’ Scheme
- Kim Jong Un Uses New Year Address to Warn of Nuclear Button on His Desk