XXXTentacion Apologizes for Cancellation of Anti-Rape Event: ‘It Was My Fault Completely’

XXXTentacion’s anti-rape event at has been canceled.

Nearly two weeks ago, the 19-year-old rapper told fans he would host a gathering during Art Basel Miami Beach to raise awareness about sexual assault through victims’ stories. He later booked a venue and began promoting the event on social media; however, recent vandalism has forced XXXTentacion to reschedule.

“It was my fault completely that the event was canceled, so I take full responsibility for it,” he said on Instagram. “I put the venue address out, which caused the venue to get spray painted, so I fully, thoroughly apologize. I’m gonna make sure this happens. Please forgive me.”

To make up for the cancellation, XXXTentacion announced he would do a free concert for fans this week. He insisted the anti-rape event was still happening; he just needs to secure a new space. The rapper said he would release details later this week.

“I’m going to do everything in my power to make sure this goes through properly,” he said. “[…] I’m always going to try to be a man of my word […] I’m going to have the date and the venue for you sometime this week. I want to make sure I do this correctly, so that way everyone is comfortable telling their stories, and that they’re not around a bunch of people that don’t care for them.”

It is worth noting that XXX has been accused of domestic violence following allegations from his then-girlfriend. He has been charged with ​aggravated battery of a pregnant woman, domestic battery by strangulation, false imprisonment, and witness tampering. Pitchfork published disturbing excerpts from the alleged victim’s testimony. He has denied the charges. 

You can hear XXXTentacion’s statements below.

 

#xxxtentacion reacts to his anti-rape event being cancelled.

A post shared by DJ Akademiks (@akadmiks) on Dec 6, 2017 at 1:57pm PST

 

More from Complex

LeBron James Previews Metro Boomin and Big Sean’s Collaborative Project ‘Double or Nothing’

While the rest of us wait for Big Sean and Metro Boomin’s Double or Nothing to drop, LeBron James apparently got his hands on an advanced copy. And he seems to be really enjoying it.

 

DOUBLE OR NOTHING THE ALBUM 12/8 midnight! @metroboomin let’s go! 🎲🎲

A post shared by BIGSEAN (@bigsean) on Dec 5, 2017 at 4:13pm PST

On Wednesday night, the Cleveland Cavaliers star player went to social media to play several clips from the upcoming collaborative project, beginning with the previously released track “Pull Up N Wreck.” He then played snippets of two unreleased cuts. He captioned the first track “Sure feels good to be BLACK in the Back (Bach) #doubleentendre.” The second was simply captioned with: “#SavageTime.”

You can listen to the clips below. Double or Nothing is set to drop this Friday.

This isn’t the first time James has blessed fans with music teasers. In the past, he’s shared previews of Kendrick Lamar’s Damn album, as well as unreleased tracks by Meek Mill and Nipsey Hussle. Considering he has more than 34 million followers on Instagram and nearly 40 million followers on Twitter, we're sure the artists are more than happy with the plug. 

More from Complex

Big Sean & Metro Album, Ryan Leslie’s Laptop, Best Runs in Rap

On today’s #EverydayStruggle, Joe Budden, DJ Akademiks, and Nadeska ran through the daily news in rap, including Big Sean and Metro Boomin’s album, Ryan Leslie settling his laptop case, the best runs in rap history, Cardi’s next single, and much more. 

More from Complex

Post Malone Says There’s Not a Lot of ‘Real Sh*t’ in Hip-Hop These Days

Post Malone claims contemporary hip-hop is lacking “real shit.”

During a filmed interview with Poland’s Newonce, the “Rockstar” artist advised people to stay away from the genre if they’re looking for something deep and intellectually stimulating.

“If you're looking for lyrics, if you're looking to cry, if you're looking to think about life, don't listen to hip-hop,” Malone said at around the 7:20 mark. “There's great hip-hop songs where they talk about life and they really spit that real shit, but right now, there's not a lot of people talking about real shit.”

It’s a pretty bold and surprising statement from someone who has had a decent amount of success within hip-hop; however, Malone insists there is a time and place for the genre.  

“Whenever I'm trying to have a good time and stay in a positive mood, I listen to hip-hop,” he explained. “Because it's fun. I think hip-hop is important because it brings people together in a beautiful, happy way.”

You can watch Malone’s full interview below. He touches on a wide variety of subjects, including Kylie Jenner’s influence, working with Metro Boomin, his love for Elvis Presley, and Kanye West’s creative process.

On Monday, Malone announced his highly anticipated sophomore album, Beerbongs and Bentleys, would arrive next week. The rapper revealed the news during a podcast interview with H3.

“It's gonna be done. I'm gonna finish it this week,” he said when asked about the project’s status. “It'll be out December 1 at midnight.”

More from Complex

Street Artist JR Changed the Face of Illegal Immigration with a Picnic on the Border

World renowned French artist JR recently celebrated his Mexico installation with a picnic on the border of the U.S. and Mexico. Complex News spoke to JR and the Dreamer who inspired his idea of connecting both sides of the border to share a meal in Tecate, California. Check out the full video above.

More from Complex

Joe Budden and DJ Akademiks Break Down Metro Boomin’s Criticism of Atlantic Records on ‘Everyday Struggle’

On today's Everyday Struggle, Joe Budden, DJ Akademiks, and Nadeska run through the day of hip-hop news, which includes Metro Boomin calling out Atlantic Records, Logic preaching for artists to not make the same songs over and over, and thoughts on Chris Brown's next album. 

More from Complex

People Are Signing a Petition for Quavo to Be Featured on the National Anthem

“The Star-Spangled Banner,” for whatever reason, is the national anthem of the Divided States of America. No offense to anyone into American flag t-shirts and Toby Keith and whatnot, but the song is seriously one of the most boring compositions in music history. In fact, I like to sneak in a quick mini-nap whenever someone insists upon covering it in public.

At least one bold individual, a Kentucky man by the name of Sean Gray, has decided to lead the fight for an improved national anthem by starting a completely reasonable petition. “It's the current year, 2017, and I think the nation should get with the times and feature Quavo on the National Anthem,” Gray writes on his Change.org petition. “He's a feature on everything else, so why not?”

Signees have provided a multitude of reasons for supporting the petition, ranging from “nut” to “Alex told me to” to “Fuck Donald Trump.” Valid causes, all. At the time of this writing, the petition was less than 500 signatures away from its goal of 1,500 supporters after gaining traction with features in a variety of publications, including HotNewHipHop.

In a perfect world, which is quite clearly not the world we're living in now, this petition would immediately be sent to a Trumpless White House and/or whoever's in charge of updating the nation's anthem. After no debate whatsoever, a new national anthem would be commissioned featuring Quavo, Travis Scott, Selena Gomez, and SZA over a track of John Mayer doing some of his finest John Mayering with Travis Barker on drums. Production, ideally, would be handled by Metro Boomin and Mike Will Made-It.

Make it happen, America.

More from Complex

Big Sean Previewed a New Travis Scott Collab and It Sounds Like a Banger

Lollapalooza 2017 wrapped up Sunday night in Chicago's Grant Park, capping off a four-day marathon of memorable performances. Ahead of Justice's closing set on the Bud Light stage Sunday night, Big Sean hit his Mike Carson-designed stage for an energetic cruise through his increasingly stacked catalog.

 

Set design on fleek, @mikecarson not just my brudda, he da best! #92 #Don

A post shared by BIGSEAN (@bigsean) on Aug 6, 2017 at 9:10pm PDT

At one point during his set, Sean gifted the Lolla crowd with a tease of a new collaboration with Travis Scott:

The track is rumored to feature production by Metro Boomin. Sean also referenced the track's possible title—”We Go Legend”—in an Instagram post on Monday:

 

We go Legend 🔥🔥🔥

A post shared by BIGSEAN (@bigsean) on Aug 7, 2017 at 8:50am PDT

Sean and Scott last appeared together on DJ Khaled's Grateful single “On Everything” alongside Rick Ross.

Sean released his biggest album yet, I Decided, back in February. The album has maintained some serious legs on the charts thanks to a marathon of singles and videos, including “Sacrifices” featuring Migos. The “Sacrifices” video was first released as a gift to fans who made a physical album purchase, with Sean informing them in May that they had been given access to an app that allowed them to get a look at the video before anyone else. Shortly after, the video was made available on YouTube.

This year's Lollapalooza lineup also featured Chance the Rapper, Run the Jewels, Lorde, Blink-182, Lil Yachty, 21 Savage, Majid Jordan, Arcade Fire, Charli XCX, Joey Badass, Rae Sremmurd, and so many more. Catch pro-shot footage of Majid Jordan performing “Her” and Wiz Khalifa running through “Young Wild and Free” below.

More from Complex

That Time Gucci Mane Got Floured While He Was Sleeping

In the newest episode of Pigeons & Planes' What Had Happened Was, Atlanta producer Zaytoven recounts a musical collaboration that unfortunately never came to fruition.

Zaytoven explains how a studio session in Atlanta with Gucci Mane quickly escalated after a prank was played on the unsuspecting rapper. Having fun is great and all but if you learn anything from the video, it’s that you should know when playing too much, is well, too much. Check out the hilarious video above to see what exactly went down. Hint: It involves flour. 

Luckily, it seems like Gucci was able to get past the incident as the pair have since worked together. If you missed it, check out Zaytoven and Gucci Mane do a stripped down set for NPR’s Tiny Desk performance series.

Gucci released his latest album The Return of East Atlanta Santa, his tenth studio outing, back in December of 2016. The album boasted features from Drake, Travis Scott, Bryson Tiller and  production from Metro Boomin, Southside, Mike Will Made It, Murda Beatz, Zaytoven, and others. Gucci will also be hitting the road alongside The Weeknd for his Legend of the Fall Tour.

 What Had Happened Was premieres every Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. ET on P&P.

 

More from Complex

Metro Boomin and Nav Drop “Call Me” and “Perfect Timing Intro”

Listen to Metro Boomin and Nav’s new singles “Call Me” and “Perfect Timing Intro.”