Arkansas Man Allegedly Killed His Wife After She Turned Off His Football Game

Watching football is a pastime that many people enjoy, but one man took football fandom to a whole new level when he was willing to kill for it. Tony Thomas allegedly stabbed his wife, Elke, to death after she changed the TV channel from his (hopefully) favorite sport at their Arkansas home.

The Associated Press reports that Thomas took a smoke break outside before heading back inside his house when he asked his wife for the score. That's when Thomas says he blacked out. The two reportedly got into an argument before Thomas regained consciousness while standing over his wife's bloodied body with a knife in his hand. It was Thomas who called the authorities to ask for a “meat wagon and police” after the stabbing, reports Fox News.

“He claimed he'd blacked out and when he 'came to,' he was over her with a knife in his hands,” read an affidavit by Lonoke County Sheriff's Detective Anthony Counts.

Now, at 58 years old, Thomas is being charged with capital murder. While the incident happened back in November, Thomas has been in jail ever since with a bond set at $1 million.

If convicted, Thomas may be sentenced to death or life in prison without parole. If it's the latter, he'll have even more trouble with his choice of TV channels. Hopefully, he learned his lesson on sharing screen time. Thomas's court hearing is scheduled for Jan. 22.

This isn't the first time someone has murdered someone in a TV-related incident. Earlier this week, another man was found not guilty after he claimed Wheel of Fortune told him to kill his mother.

More from Complex

Trump Defends His Mental Health in Bizarre Tweetstorm

President Donald Trump kicked off his seemingly regular practice of bizarre weekend tweets in a thread defending his mental health Saturday morning. The world leader who has been documented flinging paper towels at hurricane battered citizens, casually beefing with Kim Jong-Un about nuclear war, and gulping water like a toddler with a “sippy cup,” bragged about his mental state during a brief tirade that also managed to work in references of Hillary Clinton and the late Ronald Reagan.

“Now that Russian collusion, after one year of intense study, has proven to be a total hoax on the American public, the Democrats and their lapdogs, the Fake News Mainstream Media, are taking out the old Ronald Reagan playbook and screaming mental stability and intelligence,” Trump tweeted.

Trump’s rant came on the heels of Michael Wolff’s book Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House. The book essentially paints Trump as the kind of nut job who rage tweets from the golf course on weekends and binge watches Fox News. Naturally, Trump fired back.

“Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart,” Trump continued. “Crooked Hillary Clinton also played these cards very hard and, as everyone knows, went down in flames.”

A cursory Google search debunks most of what Trump tweeted regarding his success as a businessman, as a 2016 New York Times investigation into Trump’s many failed business ventures pegged him as a middling businessman at best. And framing his argument in stereotypical “Valley Girl Speak” probably didn’t bolster Trump’s case.

The final salvo from the 45th President read like a rejected line from the Billy Madison script.

“I went from VERY successful businessman, to top T.V. Star…to President of the United States (on my first try). I think that would qualify as not smart, but genius….and a very stable genius at that!”

The jury is still out on Trump’s self-aggrandizing correlation between winning his first Presidential run and being a certified genius. The folks at Mensa probably aren’t on board, given that Trump unofficially coined the term “big ocean water.”

 

More from Complex

Kanye West Listed as Executive Producer on Dame Dash’s 2018 Movie ‘Honor Up’

The long-delayed movie stars Dame Dash, Cam’ron, and former Fox News personality Stacey Dash.

Tomi Lahren Tries to Go at Colin Kaepernick and Gets Ripped

On Thanksgiving, Tomi Lahren shared a “food for thought” tweet that included an image of Colin Kaepernick digitally inserted into a photo of D-Day. Kaepernick was kneeling to illustrate her point yet again that what he’s been doing is unpatriotic and disrespectful to the American flag.

But the Fox News contributor couldn’t have shared this at the worst time. Kaepernick, who GQ named Citizen of the Year, has since become an inspiration for NFL activism and national anthem protests. And Twitter felt strongly about her attempt of putting down Kaepernick and went in.

Lahren went viral last year for her “Final Thoughts” segment on The Blaze when she vehemently condemned Kaepernick for his message.

“What’s your contribution? Sitting there like a fool? What’s selfish is you, buddy. And what’s your message to black kids, to people of color? That their biggest contribution to justice and self-fulfillment is to parade around with a chip on their shoulder like a victim?

“Colin, how dare you sit there and blame white people for the problems in the minority communities? After all, aren’t you half white? Didn’t two white parents adopt you after yours weren’t willing to raise you? For a racist and horrible country filled with racist and horrible white people, that’s really something, isn’t it?”

She’s not going to stop anytime soon, but judging from this reaction, it looks people have had enough.

More from Complex

Trump’s Release of Classified JFK Documents Means He’s Attended at Least One White House Briefing

When you elect a former reality show host with no previous governing experience to the highest public office in the country, it’s very likely that person will repeatedly misinterpret public policies. So if you woke up Saturday wondering when and how one Donald J. Trump would manage to fail up while tweeting from a golf course, the answer came in the form of a tweet about the 35th President, John F. Kennedy.

“Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened,” Trump tweeted Saturday morning.

Technically, Trump was correct here, although he won’t need to release the JFK files so much as just not overtly block them from being publicly disclosed—as they would have anyway next Thursday. The JFK Assassination Records Collection Act of 1992—enacted on October 26, 1992—states the following:

“Each assassination record shall be publicly disclosed in full, and available in the Collection no later than the date that is 25 years after the date of the enactment of this Act, unless the President certifies, as required by this Act, that 

(i) continued postponement is made necessary by an identifiable harm to military defense, intelligence operations, law enforcement or conduct of foreign relations; and

(ii) the identifiable harm is of such gravity that it outweighs the public interest in disclosure.”

The 1963 assassination of President Kennedy has remained a source of fascination for history buffs and conspiracy theorists alike for over half a century. Furthermore, most of the CIA and FBI documents about JFK have already been released either in their full form or partially redacted. Essentially, all Trump had to do here was get out of his own way and focus on more pressing matters such as aiding hurricane-battered Puerto Rico or not sub-tweeting an equally moronic dictator with access to nuclear launch codes.

But Trump is going to Trump, so what seems like an inevitable bit of governmental minutiae can still prove entertaining. The Washington Post reports that according to an unnamed National Security Council official, “government agencies were urging the president not to release some of the documents.” If that’s true, then Trump has actually attended at least one White House briefing and doesn’t get all of his updates from Fox News. The same report noted that Trump’s confidant Roger Stone bragged about lobbying the president to release the files during an appearance on Alex Jones’ Infowars.

This would be the time where we collectively hang our head in shame that a sitting president hangs out with white nationalists and has friends who brag about being guests on Infowars.

More from Complex

Guy Asks Tomi Lahren For Selfie, Calls Her Out for Racism Instead

Tomi Lahren, a bad person with very bad racist and xenophobic views who is also a hypocrite that disparages the Affordable Health Care Act while directly benefiting from its provisions, was beautifully called out in the streets of NYC.

A man asked Tammy, the 25-year-old conservative political commentator, Fox News ​contributor, and the butt of many jokes for what she assumed to be an innocent selfie. An innocent selfie it most certainly was not.

Rather, the man went in on the conservative Tommy for her toxic views. With the video camera rolling on his phone, the man asked, “Hey, Tomi. How does it feel to be a racist piece of shit?” Tangerine Lahren​ then awkwardly slipped away, back into whatever hateful layer of xenophobia she arose from. 

Redditor thatgoodgood69 identified himself as the person who posed for the fake selfie, writing, “Fun to call her out and the silence that ensued after is unforgettable. Hopefully she has to wear a little bigger hat next time walking around NYC.”

The man also wrote that he doesn't “call everyone i disagree with a racist but this women is a cancer to our country.” 

Check out the clip for yourself up top. 

More from Complex

Ice-T and Soledad O’Brien to Host Fox’s ‘Who Shot Biggie & Tupac?’

Friday, Fox announced an upcoming two-hour special to explore the deaths of slain rappers 2Pac Shakur and the Notorious B.I.G. Rapper, author, actor, and director Ice-T will co-host Who Shot Biggie & Tupac? along with Emmy Award-winning journalist and author Soledad O’Brien, as the show takes a deeper look into what amounted to cold cases during at least two police investigations and one FBI probe.

Shakur died on September 13, 1996 after being targeted in a drive-by shooting on the Las Vegas Strip. The Notorious B.I.G.—born Christopher Wallace—was similarly killed in a drive-by shooting in Los Angeles on March 9, 1997. The former friends and collaborators turned rivals remain linked some 20 years after both were killed.

Fox’s choice to cover the two iconic rappers is a curious one, given how Fox News correspondent Geraldo Rivera and other of Fox’s news pundits have previously criticized hip-hop music and culture.

“This is why I say that Hip Hop has done more damage to young African Americans than racism in recent years,” Rivera said, during a critique of Kendrick Lamar’s 2015 BET Awards performance.

The special will also reportedly feature what is being billed as the first on-air “reunion” between Lil’ Cease and E.D.I. Mean—one-time protégés of B.I.G. and Shakur as respective members of Junior M.A.F.I.A. and The Outlawz. Doug E. Fresh, Funkmaster Flex and Suge Knight are also set to appear.

Shakur’s case remains unsolved, with conspiracy theories abounding. In April of 2008, the Los Angeles Times retracted a story by Chuck Phillips insinuating Sean Combs orchestrated the 1994 Quad Studios attack on Shakur.

“The Times has since concluded that the FBI reports were fabricated and that some of the other sources relied on—including the person Philips previously believed to be the ‘confidential source’ cited in the FBI reports—do not support major elements of the story,” the retraction read.

Former LAPD captain Kevin McClure shut down a task force investigating B.I.G.’s murder in 2010 noting a lack of results.

“We kept pounding the doors on the same cold leads,” McClure told the Los Angeles Times in March. “The shooter is most likely dead. You cannot ask him who paid him. We don’t know who gave the money.”

More from Complex

Another Fox News Host Has Been Suspended for Alleged Sexual Harrassment

Fox News host Eric Bolling has been suspended by the network after allegations of sexual harrassment surfaced over the weekend.

Discrimination Lawsuit Alleges Black Fox News Employees Were Forced to Arm Wrestle White Co-Workers

A racial discrimination lawsuit filed by two Fox News employees is expected to gain more teeth following a report that up to seven additional colleagues will be joining the legal action.

The suit, filed by Tichaona Brown and Tabrese Wright in March, is focused on discrimination of black employees by a longtime Fox News comptroller, Judith Slater. The list of complaints from Brown and Wright are varied; Ms. Slater is alleged to have suggested black men were “women beaters,” referred to a majority-black department as the “urban” or “Southern” payroll, and mocked the physical appearance and speech of the plaintiffs.

Though Slater is the primary offending party in the suit, the legal action extends to other Fox News employees, including accounting director Tammy Efinger

In a letter obtained by New York magazine, the colleagues joining Brown and Wright in the suit allege that Slater also demanded black employees hold arm-wrestling matches with white female employees in the Fox News office. 

“Forcing a black woman employee to ‘fight’ for the amusement and pleasure of her white superiors is horrifying,” said the lawyers representing the new plaintiffs. “This highly offensive and humiliating act is reminiscent of Jim Crow era battle royals.”

Both Brown and Wright reportedly turned down a settlement offer. In a statement provided on the matter, Fox News expressed regret that legal action was necessary. “There is no place for inappropriate verbal remarks like this at Fox News,” they said. “We are disappointed that this needless litigation has been filed.”

The discrimination lawsuit comes during a chaotic time for Fox News. Mounting pressure from advertisers led to the recent ousting of network star Bill O'Reilly, nearly a year after former network head Roger Ailes resigned in the face of numerous sexual assault allegations. Like Ailes before him, O'Reilly is expected to command a significant amount of money as severance, with some reports speculating the figure will be up to $25 million.

More from Complex

#LifeAtComplex: 4/20 Edition

#LifeAtComplex is a daily vlog that offers an inside look at Complex. Watch as Tony Mui takes viewers behind-the-scenes in the office—you never know who or what will pop up.

On today's episode, Tony rolls with a 4/20 theme and talks to Anslem and Andrew about a recent piece on Complex that details what it's like to be black in the weed industry. Later, the good folks at Wingstop hook up the office with lunch, and Tony knocks out 40 push-ups to cover for Everyday Struggle star DJ Akademiks who lost a bet to Joe Budden.

Subscribe to Complex on YouTube to check out more episodes of #LifeAtComplex, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram.

More from Complex