Suge Knight Claims Dr. Dre Put a Hit on Him for $20K

According to newly released legal documents, Suge Knight says that he was shown a check for $20,000 that Dr. Dre allegedly wrote to a man named Dwayne Johnson (not that Dwayne Johnson) to have Knight killed. According to TMZ, Suge claims that this purported hit was supposed to go down on the same day (January 29, 2015) that he ran over and killed a man in a Tam's Burgers parking lot, which has led to his current murder trial.

The ex-CEO of Death Row said in legal documents that during a jailhouse visit in July of 2016, both he and a private investigator had Johnson tell them that a check for $20k was given to him as partial payment to kill Knight. Johnson was at the aforementioned parking lot on the date of Knight's hit-and-run that led to his current incarceration.

As TMZ notes about this most recent accusation:

“The upshot of what Suge is arguing … he had reason to fear for his life when he entered Tam's.”

Still, according to the LA Times, Suge says he never got a copy of the check and the PI he mentions “now claims it does not exist.

Knight, of course, is no stranger to throwing out accusations, which has even included a past claim that Dr. Dre hired a hitman to have him killed at the 2014 VMAs pre-party hosted by Chris Brown. At that pre-party, he was shot six times.

Not surprisingly, an attorney for Dr. Dre called these latest claims both “absurd” and “defamatory.”

More from Complex

Ray J Says He Hasn’t Received a Check From Depiction in Kanye’s “Famous” Visual

Fuckery pays. Just ask Ray J. During his appearance on Everyday Struggle Thursday, Ray J—just moments after admitting one can reasonably get “a bunch of checks for the fuckery”—was asked to share his thoughts on being depicted in Kanye West's controversial “Famous” visual.

For Ray, the visual stands as art and shouldn't be extended into some ridiculous beef. “It's all art,” Ray J said at around the 35:50 mark in the video up top. “It's all a part of whatever society has allowed us to do and be. You have to accept that and you have to go, damn, was it creative? Yeah. Was it over the top? Yeah. Did I get a check from it? No.”

58b7de299cb28c197ed2d956

Asked if he had plans on responding further to the VMA-nominated visual, Ray J suggested any potential animosity had been buried. “It's all good, man,” Ray J said. “We all did shit. It's all love. At the end of the day, we're all getting money. [Kanye West and Kim Kardashian are] married, they got kids. I'm married, I want to have kids. I think all of the crazy savagery shit that was done, now that whole book is closed and it's put to rest and now we are all doing new things. And the more money that we make and the more kids that we can have, you know? Let's all just smile and get to the money. It feels good.”

Last year, Ray J grabbed Chris Brown for an apparent response in the form of his own track called “Famous.”

Revisit Kanye West's “Famous,” which also features depictions of Amber Rose and the neo-Nazi-sympathizer-in-chief, below:

More from Complex

Yo Gotti Associate Charged With Attempted Murder in Young Dolph Shooting Case

43-year-old Corey McClendon has been arrested in the shooting of Young Dolph, police said on Wednesday. McClendon, who was charged with suspicion of attempted murder, is an associate of Dolph's longtime rival Yo Gotti. While there were reports on Tuesday that Gotti was a person of interest in the case, police have since denied that. Two more suspects remain at large.

Despite that denial, Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck told the press that Dolph's shooting was likely the result of a feud. 

“[He was] targeted because of who he is and some kind of beef that’s ongoing,” Beck said. “I think this was something he brought with him from across the United States.”

While current reports have Dolph in critical but stable condition after surgery, false rumors circulated Wednesday evening that the rapper died. A now-deleted tweet by rapper Hitman Holla was one of the things that sparked the speculation.

hitman holla
Image via Twitter

The rumors were quickly put to rest by Dolph's team.

More from Complex

Gucci Mane Plans to Drop a Mixtape ‘Every Other Day’ in 2018

It seems 2018 will be the year of Gucci Mane. The veteran rapper, who will be performing at ComplexCon in November, took to Twitter to proclaim he will be going “100 percent independent and dropping a mixtape every other day.” Yes, Gucci Mane has said that he will drop a new mixtape every other day in 2018. Which is, considering there are 365 days in a year, a very large amount.

Gucci, who was released from prison in May of 2016, has been putting in a ton of work and seems to have no plans of slowing down. Among his releases are two studio albums, Everybody Looking and The Return of East Atlanta Santa.

He also just released a fascinating memoir, co-written with Neil Martinez-Belkin, called The Autobiography of Gucci Mane. The book revealed a ton of interesting information about the influential rapper, from the history behind his name to the inspiration behind his hit “Lemonade.” 

To date, Gucci has released an impressive ten studio albums. His eleventh, Mr. Davis, comes out Oct. 13 and boasts features from ASAP Rocky, Schoolboy Q, Big Sean, Nicki Minaj, Chris Brown, Migos, Monica, Ty Dolla Sign, and others.

Want to experience Complex IRL? Check out our second annual ComplexCon, a festival and exhibition taking place in Long Beach, California Nov. 4-5. Host committee members include Murakami, Pharrell, Virgil Abloh, Sarah Andelman, J Balvin and Jaden Smith. For more information on performers, panels, and tickets, visit ComplexCon.com.

More from Complex

Chris Brown Opens Up About the Night He Assaulted Rihanna: ‘That’s Going to Haunt Me Forever’

Ever since Chris Brown lashed out in violence against Rihanna in 2009, he has been unable to escape scrutiny regarding his treatment of women.

Eight years after the incident, Brown is showing contrition over his actions, and he opened up about his terrible mistakes in his new documentary, Chris Brown: Welcome to My Life. From the sound of things, the relationship with Rihanna was turbulent from the very start, and he said that while the infamous fight in the car was bad, it was not exactly a departure from their everyday life.

“We would fight each other, she would hit me, I would hit her, and it never was okay. It was always a point where when we would talk about it, like yo, what the fuck are we doing?” Brown said. “Me, I felt like a fucking monster.”

Brown talked about the relationship between the couple from his perspective, explaining that a lie he told about his sexual history led to the fracture of their trust. That set the scene for the fight they got into during a pre-Grammy party in 2009, allegedly over a text Brown received from another woman.

Though Brown highlighted violent things Rihanna did in the car that night, ultimately he looked back and felt deep regret over what happened. 

“I really hit her, with a closed fist, I punched her, and busted her lip. And when I saw it I was in shock,” he said. “From there, she just spit in my face, spitting blood on my face, so it enraged me even more, it's a real fight in the car … a lot of the times I just look back at that picture and I'm just like, that's not me bro, that's not me. I hate it to this day. That's going to haunt me forever.”

It should haunt him forever, because treating anyone like that, let alone someone you claim to loved and want to marry, is straight up unacceptable. But the larger problem with Brown's assertion over how bad he felt is that this so-called “haunting” has done little to impact his treatment of women in the years since the Rihanna incident. Karrueche Tran was granted a five-year restraining order against Brown just this June, with a judge weighing evidence of abuse from Brown in a court setting. A man who claims to be haunted by his past domestic violence would probably not be saying, “Bitch I will beat the shit out of you,” as Brown reportedly did to Tran through text message.

You can watch the video of Brown discussing the Rihanna abuse below, and maybe you'll buy that his contrition is genuine. Still, it should give you pause when supporting any new music of his, like his new single, “Questions.” Along with the song, he announced his album Heartbreak on a Full Moon will be released on Oct. 31 (Halloween).

More from Complex

Joe Budden and DJ Akademiks Discuss Drake’s OVO Fest on ‘Everyday Struggle’

On today's Everyday Struggle, Joe Budden, DJ Akademiks, and Nadeska get into the news of the day, including a full recap of Drake's eighth annual OVO Fest and what it means that he brought out the likes of Tory Lanez, the Weeknd, and more. Later, the crew run through the new Usher allegations. Budden and Akademiks also break down Wale's recently deleted tweet that people thought was a shot at Chance the Rapper before diving into Chris Brown commenting on Rihanna's Instagram pic.

More from Complex

Joe Budden and DJ Akademiks Break Down What Eminem’s Next Album Will Sound Like

On today's Everyday Struggle, Joe Budden, DJ Akademiks, and Nadeska run through the day of news that includes Jay Z's crazy new “Moonlight” video, Beyoncé's rollerblading skills, Eminem's next album, and much more. Additionally, the crew break down Chris Brown's new song and if he was crying out for help through the lyrics. To wrap up, the gang discuss Playboi Carti not paying his producers and whether Blac Chyna can make it in the rap game

More from Complex

Suge Knight Indicted for Allegedly Texting Death Threats to ‘Straight Outta Compton’ Director

Suge Knight's legal troubles continue.

Knight has been indicted on felony charges of making criminal threats by a grand jury in Los Angeles County. He was reportedly unhappy with his portrayal in the 2015 film Straight Outta Compton, TMZ reports. So the record producer, music executive, and founder of the iconic Death Row Records allegedly sent death threats to F. Gary Gray, the director of the movie, through text messages. Court records obtained by Variety show that the crime was allegedly committed on August 8, 2014. Suge will be arraigned on Thursday.

It's just the latest legal incident involving Knight. Back in January 2015, he was arrested on murder charges, which were also tied to the production of Straight Outta Compton. Knight allegedly ran over a man named Terry Carter with his vehicle on the set of the film. He is currently behind bars awaiting trial on those charges.

Prior to that incident, Knight and comedian Katt Williams were arrested in 2014 for their alleged connection to an armed robbery. The pair pleaded not guilty. Suge was also shot multiple times at a pre-MTV VMAs party hosted by Chris Brown the same year. 

Straight Outta Compton, which was released in theaters in August 2015, grossed more than $200 million at the box office. The biographical film received a generally positive reception from critics and maintains a solid 87 percent on Rotten Tomatoes

More from Complex

The Past Month on Sneaker Shopping Has Been Legendary

It's summer vacation over here at Complex Sneakers (just kidding, we're still working), and we're taking a break this week from the regularly scheduled Sneaker Shopping episode to take a look back at the past five episodes that have been some of the best to date.

Over the past five weeks, we've gone Sneaker Shopping with Diddy, Ric Flair, Neymar, and comedian Sebastian Maniscalco, while getting an exclusive of Chris Brown's legendary sneaker closet. 

Take a look at the best moments of the past episodes above, which includes Neymar spending over $18,000 on sneakers. See you next Monday, folks.

More from Complex

Who Is Tone Stith, the Latest Artist to Get a Co-Sign From Drake?

Drake was spotted with rising singer/producer Tone Stith in Houston, Texas Monday. In a video shared by TMZ Thursday, Drake is seen sitting in on the New Jersey-based artist's tour rehearsal and talking with Stith about, well, that's hard to say due to the fact that the audio isn't all that great:

Reports claim Drake is taking Stith “under his wing” after Monday's meeting, which was arranged by an important person in Drake's path to success: Jas Prince.

 

Happy bday bro!!! @tonestith #CanWeTalk

A post shared by Jas Prince (@jas.prince) on Jul 25, 2017 at 11:21pm PDT

Stith, whose previous work includes multiple tracks on Chris Brown's 2015 album Royalty, is set to join August Alsina's Don't Matter tour Thursday night with a performance at the Aztec Theater in San Antonio, Texas. The month-long trek will also see the 22-year-old artist providing support for Alsina in Atlanta, Toronto, New York City, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles.

 

A post shared by Antonio Stith (@tonestith) on Jul 5, 2017 at 3:02pm PDT

Stith currently boasts more than 80,000 combined followers across his social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter), a number that's sure to rise after the Drake co-sign and the release of Stith's latest project Can We Talk. The 11-track collection, available on Apple Music and other streaming services now, includes the single “Get It Right.”

In a message shared with his fans at the time of the official “Get It Right” video's release, Stith outlined the intention behind his art. “I feel it is my responsibility to spread love and happiness through my music, and want you to know that I'm always keeping you in mind whether I'm in the studio making new material, rehearsing to put on the best show possible, or even just being a good person to everyone I meet along the way,” Stith said.

Stith recently shared a cover of Drake's More Life cut “Madiba Riddim,” joining previous Stith renditions of songs from Bryson Tiller and Justin Bieber.

The latest release from Stith arrived this week to mark his birthday. Listen to “2122” below.

More from Complex