Inside YoungBoy Never Broke Again’s Legal Situation

YoungBoy Never Broke Again has become one of hip-hop’s most prominent rising stars. At the age of 18, the Baton Rouge rapper has already reached various career milestones, including the release of several successful mixtapes, as well as collaborating with acts like Lil Yachty, PnB Rock, and A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie. YoungBoy is also expected to release his debut studio album Until Death Call My Name next week, which could very well catapult him into a whole new level of prestige.

Though these wins and accomplishments are pretty impressive, they’ve all been tainted by YoungBoy’s criminal history.

The rapper, who was recently charged with alleged assault and kidnapping, is facing a heap of legal issues that date all the way back to 2016. It was at that time YoungBoy was arrested in Austin for his alleged involvement in a drive-by shooting. A judge suspended his 10-year prison sentence in the latter case and handed the artist a three-year probation; however, Youngboy's future is still unclear, as he remains behind bars on suspicion of attacking his girlfriend Jania Jackson.

It's been a turbulent ride for the “No Smoke” artist so far, and only time will tell if he'll be able to turn his controversial image around.

You can check out a timeline of Youngboy's legal issues above.

More from Complex

YoungBoy Never Broke Again Gives a Nod to Lil Wayne in “Diamond Teeth Samurai” Video

It's not long now until YoungBoy Never Broke Again unleashes his long-awaited debut album, Until Death Call My Name, and to celebrate its impending release the Baton Rouge rapper has shared a new song and video. Available today for those who pre-ordered the album, “Diamond Teeth Samurai.”

This one follows “Right Or Wrong,” which featured Future.

Coumplete with a reference to Lil Wayne's “Tha Block Is Hot,” the video includes a cameo from Birdman and translates the high energy delivery of the track into visuals remarkably well. The Andrew Litten–directed video suitably inspires the type of hype that YoungBoy brings to each track, with some colorful visuals that proudly rep what he's all about.

Until Death Call My Name is due to release on April 27. The buildup has been plagued by YoungBoy's ongoing legal issues, which include a drive-by shooting charge from last year he pleaded guilty to, as well as charges of probation violation, domestic violence, kidnapping, and assault. His attorney, James Manassesh, claims the allegations leveled against him are “not nearly as severe” as they seem. 

YoungBoy was recently indicted on counts of kidnapping and aggravated assault against his girlfriend Jania Jackson, although she has said about that the incident, “That's just us, that's just the way we play.”

More from Complex

Boosie Badazz Says Long-Standing Beef With Kevin Gates Is Over

Baton Rouge rappers Kevin Gates and Boosie Badazz have had a long-standing beef ever since Gates' friend Nussie was murdered back in 2009, with one man claiming Boosie was responsible for ordering the hit. Michael 'Marlo Mike' Louding, who was allegedly the man responsible for murdering Nussie, was charged with the murder and sentenced to life without parole. Louding said Boosie paid him $2,800 to do it. Boosie was also tried for the same murder, but was found not guilty. The beef, however, persisted, building to an intense alteration in 2016 that saw both of their crews clashing after they were scheduled to perform at a show together in Louisville.

Boosie seemed to confirm the beef has finally been squashed in a video he posted to Instagram. In the video, he said he spoke to Gates about having him perform at the upcoming Boosie Bash Fest event in Baton Rouge. Extending his hopes that Kevin can make it, the caption reads, “Just got off the line with @iamkevingates trying to pull it off so he can perform at the #BoosieBash THE CITY NEEDS THIS!!!! Say a prayer tonight that he's allowed to travel ASAP.”

“Trying to get that boy to come to that Boosie Bash,” he explained in the video. If what Boosie says is true, it looks as if their lengthy beef has finally come to an end for good. Gates has yet to say anything on the matter, but he's currently on mandatory supervision following his release from prison earlier this month.

More from Complex

Rick Ross Takes Jab at Birdman Over Report That He’s About to Lose a Mansion

Rick Ross is going to constantly remind Birdman about his money problems and legal situation with Lil Wayne until he pays up.

The latest jab comes from Renzel’s Snapchat, responding to an AllHipHop report (via The Blast) that Birdman is selling his Miami mansion on Palm Island. Stunna bought the 19,000 sq. ft. mansion for $14.5 million in 2012, which was once owned by former Rockstar Energy CEO Russell Weiner and Scott Storch.

In June, he listed the home for $20 million to recoup the renovations he’s done over the years. You can check out images of the mansion below.

In his Snap, Ross breaks down the logic behind Birdman’s purchase. He allegedly took out a loan in 2015 for $12 million from a company named Easy Money EMG that's based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He put the mansion as a collateral for the loan.

“You ain’t have no money in six-seven years, n***a. You should have came and borrowed some from Rozay. Now you want to fuck that old lady life up too. You probably borrowing some money from her,” Ross says.

“I might go buy that house on the water,” he adds. “Just to keep my boat at it. I won’t even stay there, that shit is too small.”

 

From the desk of #RickRoss #birdman

A post shared by Baller Alert (@balleralert) on Dec 18, 2017 at 7:05am PST

Earlier this year, Ross called out Birdman for not paying Lil Wayne and countless other Cash Money producers on “Idols Become Rivals.” He hasn’t stopped spreading the message, urging Birdman to “pay that man.” And this is after Birdman exploded on Instagram Live about all the chatter surrounding him and Weezy, telling his followers about their history and that he’ll make sure he’s “straight” when the timing is right.

If Birdman can’t pay for his mansion, what makes us think he can pay Wayne’s $51 million lawsuit?

More from Complex

Officer Wounded in 2016 Baton Rouge Shooting Sues Black Lives Matter Leaders

Friday, a Louisiana police officer wounded in the 2016 protests sparked by the killing of Alton Sterling filed a lawsuit against Black Lives Matter activists DeRay Mckesson, Johnetta “Netta” Elzie, Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors, and Opal Tometti. 

According to reports by both MSN and Reuters, the unnamed officer is seeking at least $75,000 in damages. The lawsuit was filed in a U.S. district court in Louisiana, and it alleges members of Black Lives Matter incited the violence and failed to condemn illegal behavior that ultimately led to the deaths of three other officers.

In July of 2016, officers Blane Salamoni and Howie Lake apprehended Sterling outside of a Baton Rouge convenience store. The officers were reportedly responding to a 911 call about a man making threats with a firearm. Footage shot by a bystander shows Salamoni and Lake tackling Sterling to the ground. A voice off-camera could be heard yelling “he’s got a gun!” during the encounter before the officers opened fire and killed Sterling. 

Witness accounts initially varied on if Sterling had a weapon, and tensions ran high in Baton Rogue as Sterling became the latest in series of black men killed during encounters with police officers. During local protests, former U.S. Marine Gavin Long shot six police officers, killing the three aforementioned Baton Rouge officers during his rampage.

Court documents linked Long with the Sovereign Citizen Movement, but no connection with Black Lives Matter was found.

In May, the Department of Justice declined to press federal civil rights charges against Salamoni and Lake for the killing of Sterling. 

Mckesson also filed a class action lawsuit against Baton Rouge over the arrests of demonstrators during the Baton Rogue protests. Mckesson’s suit sought no damages but called to recoup money spent on what he deemed unlawful arrests.

More from Complex

Kevin Gates Could Be Released From Prison in June 2018

Kevin Gates was close to being released from jail earlier this year, until a separate weapons charge landed him in prison for another 30 months in a different state. But based on public records, it looks like he'll be up for parole much sooner than that sentence would indicate.

As you can see in this image provided by the Illinois Department of Corrections (via DJ Akademiks), Gates' parole date is in late-June 2018, which would have him out of prison—at least for this sentence—in just under 14 months:

This is a photo of Kevin Gates.
Image via Illnois Department of Corrections

There's no guarantees, of course, and we've seen things go south for Gates in the recent past. The prosecution for his 2015 assault case originally asked for a 60-day sentence (alongside probation and anger-management classes) only for a judge to triple the sentence. As the end of his stay in prison for kicking a woman neared, Gates had his release taken off the table when a separate, unrelated weapons charge was discovered in the state of Illinois. Upon discovery of the charge, Gates was transferred from Florida to the midwest and had his request for bail denied.

A 2018 return to the public would be nice to see for the Baton Rouge native, whose career and life has gone off track over the last couple years as he's dealt with these legal issues. His debut studio album Islah was a definite success, peaking as high as No. 2 on the Billboard 200 and eventually being certified platinum by the RIAA last August. Just as he appeared to be on the rise as an artist, Gates found himself on the wrong side of the law.

If he can keep his nose clean in prison—and assuming no more outstanding charges pop up on the radar—Gates could be returning to a speaker near you next summer.

 

More from Complex