Another White House Official Resigns Over Domestic Abuse Claims

Yet another White House aide is stepping down. David Sorensen, a member of President Donald Trump's speechwriting team, has resigned amid claims of domestic abuse, according to multiple Friday night reports.

Sorensen's ex-wife claimed that he “ran a car over her foot, put out a cigarette on her hand, threw her into a wall and grasped her menacingly by her hair while they were alone on their boat in remote waters off Maine's coast, an incident she said left her fearing for her life,” according to the Washington Post.

Sorensen denied all the claims in a statement released to media. “I have never committed violence of any kind against any woman in my entire life,” he wrote. “In fact, I was the victim of repeated physical violence during our marriage, not her.”

Spokesperson Raj Shah said in an official statement that the White House knew about the allegations before long the Washington Post reached out about them. “Before we were contacted by the media, we learned last night that there were allegations,” the statement read. “We immediately confronted the staffer, he denied the allegations and he resigned today.” 

Earlier this week, another staffer Rob Porter stepped down over similar claims. White House Staff defended Porter despite abuse claims from both of his ex-wives. When a photo of the black eye of one of the ex-wives surfaced, the White House changed their tune, saying they were concerned about the allegations at that point. Still, Trump offered support for Porter, saying he “found out about it recently and I was surprised by it, but we certainly wish him well and it's a tough time for him,” 

Like Sorensen, Porter has also maintained that all allegations were untrue. The president appeared to reference the domestic abuse scandals in a tweet this morning that asked, “Is there no such thing any longer as Due Process?”

More from Complex

Share to Facebook
Share to Google Buzz
Share to Google Plus